Sunday, November 7, 2010

Let's Make Paper Beads :)

Have you ever wonder what to do with paper wrappers that are too cute to throw away? Well, wonder no more! With things you can find on hand, plus extra time, you can turn these paper wrappers into pretty paper beads. Wanna know how? Follow me right now!

Hehe, how was my promotional writing? Did you buy it? I hope you do, because paper beading is fun! I think many people already know this technique, but I feel that it's no harm to post the how-to here. I first learned this technique when I was the fourth grade. At that time I used calender paper. It was pretty plain and I didn't do it neatly so the result wasn't that good.

Well, enough babbling and let's make paper beads!

What you need:
Pretty paper wrappers (or any kind of paper, it's recycling at the best)
Scissor/razor
Ruler (optional)
Pencil/pen (optional)
1 Toothpick
glue

Clear nail varnish (optional)

Steps:

1. Measure your beads

I used these triangles to make the beads. The longer it is, the bulgier in the middle it will be. The wider the base is, the longer the bead will be. I prefer the base to be around 1-1.5cm, while the length around 22cm.
Triangles are just optional. You can make a rectangle and roll it up (it will turn into a cylinder, tho).
Cutting a lot of these in advance saves time.



This is what it looks like after it is being cut (wide: 1cm, length: 22cm)

2. Roll It



Put the base of your triangle on a toothpick and start to roll it. I prefer to put a little bit of glue every other time to maintain its shape.



Roll it tightly, glue the end, and here is what you get!


3. Repeat Step 2



And you get pretty paper beads. Turn your paper beads into necklace, bracelets, earrings, door curtain, etc. Be creative!

I normally add two coats of nail varnish after I've done making the beads. It gives extra protection and also extra gloss. Unfortunately, I haven't got nail varnish right now. But when I've varnished it, I'll put an update.

Happy Crafting! ^^

2 comments:

  1. Paper beads. The beads that we normally see in Indonesia (Semarang, esp) are made out of plastic or semi-precious stones.
    These paper beads are from paper, that's why it is also part of recycling project. I like turning them into bracelets. Will post the photo as soon as I get them done.
    Thanks for commenting. ^^

    ReplyDelete