Monday, September 20, 2010

Craft: Medium Choice

I love crafting since I was a little girl. It gives me the satisfaction of making things, though sometimes I do not like doing it when under pressure (re: school craft).

There are many kinds of crafts that are done, from sewing, beading, knitting, crocheting, macrame, kneading, wiring, and so on.

From where I come from (Java, Indonesia), I think that the preferred craft here is beading. Beading is making things from beads. It's not necessarily jewelry. Those beads could be created into tissue box cover, bag, tiny purse, and more.

One of my aunties pointed out to me about how she likes bead creations and somehow I get the feeling that what I do is inferior. I like bead creations and I admit that they are tricky to make but those are truly not my things. Reasons why they are not: 1. I have to buy the beads. 2. However different the motif is, but the beads are quite common, sometimes even dull. Unless if these beads are not bought but hand made so they have different texture from one and another.

When I went to this craft-jewelry store, most people where learning how to make jewelry out of beads and wire. Okay, pretty, but then it all looks the same to me. Craft medium like clays and doughs somehow are associated with little kids.

Personally, I'm not a fan of every craft that I have to buy the medium firsthand. I do indulge my whim once in a while by buying wire, felt or clay. But normally I'd rather use what I have in hands. So basically, I like recycling.

The feeling of recycling is really fun. From one thing you can turn it into another. Who'd guest paper wrapper could turn into cute beaded bracelet? Or maybe carton turns out into tissue box? And, I think, it's also earth preservation.

But anyway, crafting is a choice. One cannot force whatever one likes to another. Difference makes this world colourful and unique! :)


These are beads that I bought (and given).


These are recycled things, flower brooch from cloth, bracelet from paper wrapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment